Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Wedding Singer

Went to a wedding on Saturday.

I was a hanger-on really, as it was the wedding of my partner's nephew and his fiancée.

I'm not good at social occasions, and it also meant I missed out on Doncaster Rovers' friendly against Real Sociedad (we won 1-0 by the way), Fish-o-Mania at Hayfield Lakes and... er... oh yes... my daughter's 16th birthday!

Bu-u-u-ut, I wouldn't've gone to the footy anyway, fishing is a big yawn to me, and daughter's birthday bash is not until the 15th of August... although actually closer to her birthday than in previous years.

Anyway, the bride's family are Scottish-Canadian, one of her bridesmaids (and family) are Sri Lankan, the groom's family on his mother's side are Irish, and one of the hymns they chose was...

"Jerusalem"!

As we belted out "... in England's green and pleasant land" I felt the Empire was in fine fettle.

Of course, when I say "belted", well it was that kind of singing you get in churches when people attend once a celebration... all croaks and missed notes, and selfconsciousness, because you can only actually hear yourself, and maybe the person next to you if they are particularly forthright - unless, of course, you happen to be Sri Lankan, and are faced with C of E hymns for probably the first time in your life, in which case you can doubtless hear everyone else, and must wonder if they've ever sung in their lives before!!!

And the thing is... probably not much.

As a rule, we don't sing.

OK, the story goes that we all sing in the shower, but I'm sure I don't. Nor does my partner. (In fact, I object to being spoken to in the shower as a response, if required, usually results in choking on half a pint of tepid soap-water.)

And whilst I confess I don't make a habit of entering people's salles de douche whilst they are showering as such... I'm not convinced they are any more vocally persuaded than I.

I guess there's the tuneless humming we sometimes elicit, as required, to inform others this particular cubicle in the public convenience is occupied, even though there is no actual lock to avail one of the opportunity to indicate as such by more conventional, mechanical means, but that doesn't really count, and besides, more often than not, that is tuneless whistling.

But actually me?
Well, I am a singer.

At the end of the reception of said wedding above, one of the groom's mother's sisters, came up to me and complimented me on my singing all the words to all the songs played by the DJ.

I was lucky to a point, as most were from my era, but still, if I say so myself, I knew pretty well most of them all the way through, including (perhaps a little less impressively) "Jeans On" by David Dundas.

And that's it you see... I love singing.

I don't sing in the shower, but I do sing in the car - big style! - and... I sing at work (frequently being "asked" to shut up!).

I'd like to say they don't appreciate a good thing when they hear it, but... erm... truth be told, they have a point.

You see, my fan from earlier in this post could see me singing, but couldn't actually hear me. It has to be said that this may have had some bearing on the level of her appreciation.

But, what I lack in talent, I make up for in enthusiasm.

I'm VERY enthusiastic!!!

3 comments:

Zanna_x said...

I think you're the most enthusiastic singer I know dad. One day I will actually suffocate from laughing at you singing 'Since You've Been Gone', I'm sure.
And I sing in the shower. Mind you, I sing practically 24/7 anyway.
Love me xxx

Cherrypie said...

Do you do requests?

The Birdman said...

cp... only if you don't behave yourself!