Monday, April 24, 2006

Teenagers, eh?

If you’ve been paying close enough attention to the comments added to my blog, you might have noticed a rather forward-sounding individual going by the name of Zanna_x.

Only the occasional “Dad” gives the game away that Zanna_x is indeed the fruit of my loins (do I detect a clothing franchise there?), and hence is allowed to take enormous liberties that would result in the swift decapitation of any other such offender, or at least would send me into a severe case of the sulks!

Yes… I have… (gulp!) a “Teenage Daughter”!!!

Well, those of us of a certain age (i.e. 20 plus!!!) know that today’s Teenagers know nothing.

Thay carn’t spel, do’nt no nuffink about grammer n puncturation, bearly knoe there ABDs, an’ adinup? That’s for swotty lame-oes!

Oh, and if you actually ask them anything… the stock response is “Wha’?”

We-e-e-e-e-e-ll, I suppose the real truth is; they do know some things… just different things.

They know how to program DVD players for a start, and they know just how many gigabutts there are to an iPodsworth, and therefore just how many years of music they’ll never listen to they can carry around with them on a nifty gadge that costs barely 120 quid. (Although they’ve no idea how much 120 quid is!)

They DON’T know what LPs are, for Pete’s sake… although after a brief debrief on the subject, my Teenage Daughter now equates them to mp minus 10s. (I thought mp zeros, but apparently that’s FAR too modern for this old codger!)

It seems that after years of tuition, they can scarcely string two words of their native tongue together into a sentence, and yet they’ve developed a whole new language from scratch. Thr gr8 @ txtn.

But, and this frightens me, most seem to know exactly what they’re going to do with their lives.

As I teenager I certainly didn’t, and even now I pretty much walk around in a daze as the whole world passes me by in a blur. (If it weren’t for my Teenage Daughter, I’d have absolutely no idea what’s hip and groovy these days.)

But go on… look at her profile!

She’s got A-levels sorted, what she’s going to do at Uni, how she’s going to earn a living (my little pension plan) and where… not in the UK you’ll notice!!! And she’s got a Plan A, a plan B AND a plan C!!! And (get this!!!) that’s before she’s even mentioned the alternative source of income that she’s already planning to supplement her main career. (I didn’t plan to get that many “plans” in there… it was just skill!)

So, what happened? Did I miss the meeting where this was all agreed?

Or has there been some sort of firmware upgrade? Downward compatibility’s gone out of the window a bit with Teenager v2006 but the expansion potential…!!!

And have you seen the musical instruments?

That’s the oddest one-(wo)man-band I’ve ever come across… and I haven’t the foggiest idea how she’s going to carry those drums!

But that’s beside the point – doubtless she’ll get one of the entourage to take care of it.

On the other hand, some things, I guess, never change.

Moods and attitudes – yeah I remember those!

My mum used to give me that “I know what you’re thinking – stop thinking that!” line. Cue lots of pet-lip, wrinkled brow, denying everything and wondering just how does she know! Now I understand… it’s written all over their cherubic faces, ain’t it?!

And they also have causes.

It was “Nuclear Power – No Thanks!” in my day, complete with yellow window sticker – can’t quite remember whether it had a smiley face, a cross face or a radioactive face, but I’m sure you know the one.

Well, my Teenage Daughter is a vegetarian… I don’t know where I went wrong!

Actually, to be fair, and to avoid getting kicked, I should point out that she is vegetarian for the only reason valid, in my opinion. And that’s because she wants to be.

It stems from a number of things, I think; the ethical treatment of animals and a healthy lifestyle are on the list, and I believe she’s pretty well clued up enough to be asking herself the right kinds of questions and testing her own principles. (The problem with having principles, of course, is you have to stick by them!)

But, by gum, does it cause problems at mealtimes.

She loves cheese, in fact она очень любит сыр (где мой сыр? Private joke!) but cheese, and for that matter, dairy, really does make her ill… and if you take away meat and dairy… er… what’s left?

“Erm… Air on toast please, hold the butter… oh and has the bread been near any animals…? It has… rats!!!”

“Rats on toast?”

“Er no… just a glass of water, please, no flies.”

OK, I made all that bit up, but we did, just this weekend, get embroiled in this very conversation at a local baker’s…

Me: “Do you want to share a vegetable pasty?”

Daughter: “Do you want to?”

Me: “Yes, do you?”

Daughter: “OK then.”

Me: “Well, we’ll need to check it’s vegetarian pastry.”

Daughter: “I hadn’t thought of that!”

Me: “Does your vegetable pasty have vegetarian pastry?”

Mabel: “Ooh, I don’t know. Does the vegetable pasty have vegetarian pastry, Doris?”

[Strange look from Doris.]

Me: “Is it just butter in the pastry, or is there lard?”

Doris: “Ooh, I don’t know love, do you know Mabel?”

Mabel: “No, I don’t know Doris.”

Doris: “Do you know Betty?”

Betty: “What’s that?”

Doris: “Does the vegetable pasty have vegetarian pastry?”

Betty: “Ooh, I don’t know.”

Doris: “I’ll go and find out for you.”

[Doris walks into back room… to make a telephone call!]

Me: “You see, it’s my daughter, she’s vegetarian, and she hadn’t thought of that.”

[Notice how I surreptitiously deflected the blame there?]

[Doris returns.]

Doris: “She’s on the ’phone, but I’ve left a message on the voicemail.”

[Ooo… get Doris!!!]

Mabel: “Ooh, she could be ages, don’t really know when she’ll ’phone back!”

Doris: “Ooh yes, she could be ages.”

Me: “Not to worry, I’ll have a steak slice.”

Well there’s always a way round life’s little problems, ain’t there?!

Anyway, I suppose I should end this piece in time-honoured “Dad” fashion, and embarrass my daughter… it is, after all, what I’m for.

Really real truth be told, my daughter can spell, she’s hot on grammar and punctuation, she knows her ABCs and for that matter her АБВы, and she’s doing adinup at A-Level, so she must be good at that too. She’s even borrowed a book from me (“Does Anything Eat Wasps?”) and is finding out all sorts of stuff that will come in handy for when her teenage kids know nothing. She knows the value of a penny and what a record is. She can string hundreds of words together and frequently does, and she cn txt @ lite speed. She really can play all those instruments and she really does have a lifeplan. What is more, she makes sure I don’t get too out of touch with the modern world. She makes me laugh, and I love her so much I generally feel like I’m going to burst.

But most of all, she’s the best daughter you could wish for and I’m the World’s Proudest Dad.

Love you, sweetie! xxx

12 comments:

Zanna_x said...

Ooo where do I start?
Forward sounding? Me?? No!
About the spelling, you know perfectly well that I'm just as much a grammatical pedant as you are! Or at least I aim to be. Ok, so I do the incoherent teenage speech, I'll give you that.
As I said before, it's not my fault I was born when I was and not early enough to know about your beloved records. In fact, technically... that's your fault! :p
And hey! 'Txtn' is brilliant!
I don't need to carry drums! I'll borrow ones wherever I'm going. Like my piano, I'm hardly gona carry that around lol.
Vegetarianism - you have to feed me once a week! How hard is that?!? Us lot eat vegetarian every day! We manage! Lol.
Doris, Mabel and Betty??? Sure dad... That was funny though.
Ooo getting to the end! This is more like it! Tee hee hee, love you too dad!!! xxxxx

Zanna_x said...

Oh and while we're talking about teenagers... Anyone want to see a pic of dad in his late teens?? Lol, it's on my blog, have a good laugh! I did!
p.s. sorry dad, I couldn't resist :)

DH59 said...

That was a really good read, Dave. You do sound very proud of her. I'm sure she'll go far.

I had an inkling when I saw the comments in the other posts that she may be related to you in some way.

I will make a point of visiting Zanna's blog in future. Love that photo, by the way!!

Zanna_x said...

Oh I just thought, in all that praise me, I'm wonderful, everybody loves your daughter part at the end... you missed out a bit. Lol. (I'm still not forward sounding and I really really 'ppreciate that and I love you loads.) I also know........... Where the first parliament was!! Tee hee.
Ahem... and about the pic... I'm really quite mean sometimes aren't I. I'm sorry. But it's a cool pic. In a good way as well as a ha laugh at dad way. I promise.
Love you lots and lots and lots and lots and... well, etc. :p
xxx

DH59 said...

Well, seems you're getting the hang of this blogging lark now, Dave!

The Birdman said...

Sometimes need some prompting to get going, but once I'm up and running.. ok crawling... I'm pretty good at deconstruction :)

Cherrypie said...

I've got one of them there teenagers, too. Mine's the boy version.

He does lookin', listenin' and chewin'. He doesn't do Readin'.

He knows I write a blog but I'd be amazed if he ever bothered to look at it, let alone leave a comment, like what your Zanna do. ( I couldn't resist that. It was so lame. I'll get my coat) xx

DH59 said...

LOL @ cherrypie!

Dave, did you get my email about Padley? Pete says you were interested in going on the 14th.

The Birdman said...

Yes, thanks d-b.

Will check out the exact location of the lay-by.

Can't guarantee my presence yet, but it's 90%+.

Have you told Pete and Dave to bring their cameras. If I can photograph Pied-flies there... they sure as hell can!

Cherrypie said...

OOH! Is this the self same Raven Hunt on 14th that I've replied to Di about? ( note to self: be very respectful in all comments for the foreseeable future)

DH59 said...

It is indeed the same outing, cherrypie.

You don't really need to mind your ps and qs too much, though. We are a pretty tolerant bunch of individuals, aren't we Dave? ;)

The Birdman said...

Hey... we're Yorkshire folk... well known for our tact and decorum!

You'll fit in a treat cp.